Tuesday, May 11, 2010

ETUMBU


In the mid-1980s there were a number of good African record shops in the Washington DC area. When this album came out, it was played frequently, and at high volume, in all of the stores. I bought a copy the moment I first heard the looping guitar riffs of Popolipo and Petit Poisson and funky basslines of Oncle Bapius and Felly Eloko.

Featuring an all-star Zaiko lineup, the songs on this record were strikingly original and hold their appeal to this day. L'AMOUR C'EST DIVIN remains a longtime favorite of mine that I can play again and again.

I have only one other album by Klay, one he recorded with Dindo Yogo. Otherwise, I know very little about him. If you know anything about Klay, please share what you know!

Thanks in advance.

10 comments:

  1. Hey DJ Daudi, I was very honoured to see you entering the followers zone of the Global Groove. Yours being an authority in the African Music scene, and me being a humble student. Respeect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moos, thanks for your kind words, but I am no authority, just a big fan. Like you, I have found a way to spread the word about what I like in the hopes of generating greater and wider appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this album. Apurva from Pune, India.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a Klay Mawungu living and working in Belgium who also teaches African dance but if it the same guy? It probably is, but he seems to have given up music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for this!
    Klay Mawungu is the same person. I was wondering what happened to him, but I was also wondering what his connection to Zaiko has been and where he was before making the records I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gentlemen, DJ Daudi, it's a small world ! I truly hope you read this message, because Klay Mawungu has not at all given up on music, on the contrary. He is more alive than ever and still teaching African Dance in Belgium - I follow his class on a weekly basis. On top of that he has just released a new CD ! If you are interested, here is his e-mail address : klaym8@msn.com. He will be delighted to hear from his fans accross the ocean. Take care, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Betty!
    I'm glad to hear he's still making music and I'd love to hear his new CD and to play it on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJ Daudi, did you manage to get in touch with Klay ? If there would be a problem, I volunteer to help : just pass me your details. Once dancing class starts again in September, I can ask him to send you a CD. You will love it ! Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. No I have not tried yet.
    Thanks though. OK to write in English?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure, that should not be a problem. Betty.

    ReplyDelete