Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ambiance Congo for March 14, 2010

Welcome to Ambiance Congo!

Thanks for joining me for two hours of Congolese music. Despite a lot of talk to the contrary, there has been a long and wonderful history of songs led by women in Lingala music. There aren't a lot of women on the scene today, but there is some amazing talent amongst the few. On this program you'll get to hear many women sing both lead and chorus.
Two hours is not enough time to cover the subject, so I'll have to revisit this some day. Your suggestions are welcome as comments here.

Posted below are a few album covers from today's program. If you'd like to see any other sleeve, please just let me know and I'll add it to this page.



For the next two weeks, you are invited to download a copy of the show here:
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/836650426/b977bbb991c686152bc4471305ad6a42
After two weeks, it'll still be available. Check out the link to Ambiance Congo Audio Archives. It'll be there with over five years worth of other editions.

The track list:

1)King Kester Emeneya & Victoria Eleison DTDB
sebene from DORIS ILOKO (this program's theme song)
from the CD PAS DE CONTACT
Black Music

2)Diany Bakela
NAKOTEYA
from the LP PAMELO MOUNK'A PROPULSE DIANY BAKELA
Africa New Sound

3)Dindo Yogo
MA KAMU YAKA
from the CD DINDO YOGO
Flash Diffusion Business

4)Afi La Princesse & Zaiko Langa Langa
NABIKISA N'ZOTO
from the LP N'GOTHIAS N'GOTHIAS
N'Goss

5)Abby Surya Djai
ETOILE NA NGAI
from the CD DELICE YA BOLINGO
Rowa Records

6)Bozi Boziana
AMOUR SUCRE
from the CD CRISE FINANCIERE
Badive Music

4)Lady Isa
TAMA ILUWUWA FISI
from the LP KUTELEZA SI KWANGUKA
Sun Records

5)Nimon Toki Lala *
CA FAIT BIEN
from the LP AYELE
Jimmy International Production

6)M'Bilia Bel, Seigneur Ley Rochereau & L'Orchestre Afrisa International
BA JEU DE COIN
from the CD M'BILIA BEL
Genidia / Sonodisc

7)Diane Solo, Moro Maurice et The Best Du Zaire
MAMA MA PASSA
from the LP DIANE SOLO MORO MAURICE ET THE BEST DU ZAIRE
Tangent

8)Tshala Muana
BENA DIANY
from the CD SIKILA
Mambo Production

9)Yondo Sister
SANS FACON
from the CD FBI
Air B. Mas Production

10)Dona Mobeti "Le Leopard du Zaire"
EKILA *
from the LP Cherie Kadette
Ets Mualaba Lukusa

11)Jena Manda Ko
ANTA
from the LP LIKITA
Ets. K'Dance

12)M'Pongo Love
VIVRE AVEC TOI
from the CD M'PONGO LOVE
Ets. Kaluila

13)Abeti Masikini
BIBI
from the LP BA MAUVAIS COPISTES
Africa New Sound

14)Vonga Aye
BOLINGO MOBESU
From the LP VONGA AYE DOCTEUR NICO ET DEYESSE
Africa Mania

*= by request

11 comments:

  1. Heard about 1/2 hour of your show as I passed through Richmond. Thanks, it sounded great. I would love to see the cover of Likita by Jena Manda Ko. How can I get ahold of that album? And how old is it? I tried to google it but mostly just found your playlists! I haven't listened to much Zairian/Congolese stuff in a decade or more but that was one of the cleanest purest tunes of that type I've ever heard. --M from NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful selection. Many thanks for hosting the AC program. Apurva from Pune, India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M:
    Welcome! Thanks for tuning in as you breezed through. You can hear lots of contemporary and classic Congolese music right here. Just browse through the Ambiance Congo Audio Archives.
    At your request, I have added the cover of Jena Mandako's LIKITA album. I also added Nimon Toki Lala's album cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apurva, it is always a pleasure to know that you are listening.
    I know I have an outstanding request from you. I'll add it to the next show's line up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I will hit the archives some. But would love to find that Likita record nonetheless. Any tips??

    I'll enjoy the archives but since they're only 80kbps it's pretty lo-fi.... thus my interest in procuring my own copy of the record.

    gracias amigo

    m

    ReplyDelete
  6. M: I took a look around. No copies for sale that I can find at this time.
    It is unfortunate that Eddy Gustave's catalogs (Disques Sonics, K'Dance, Eddy'son)have not been reissued on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for this myth bursting episode. Quite knowledge expanding

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David! Thank you so much for taking my call during your program today. Here's the youtube link to the Hugo Makonda single I was telling you about:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7E67GPnHs0

    Thanks so much!

    -Jessica Nyamugusha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica:
    Send me another comment with your email. I won't publish that comment so your email will remain private. I need to contact you.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi! came across your blog while searching for Ayele! pleasantly surprised to learn about your show too :) wondering which year Ayele came out? also name and year of Josky Kiambukuta's "Chandra"? thanks :)---Joan from Nairobi, Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sister Joan! Thank you for writing.
    I think Nimon Toki Lala's album was released in the 80s sometime. I've had the album forever it seems.
    The Chandra LP I never got to buy back in the day. I have it on CD, though and I am willing to wager that both LP & CD were simultaneously released in the early 90s. I bet there was a a cassette version as well because this was that great brief period right at the beginning of the CD era when all formats were available.

    ReplyDelete